After fitting the extra 6″ to the layout and sorting the fiddle yard join, I tested the whole layout electrically with an old controller and jumper leads. Thankfully all points and tracks worked according to plan and the first loco and stock was run. Full wiring will follow soon.
Next task was to place the buildings on the layout in their revised positions, due to the extra 6″. Although I am not committed to these positions, they are likely to be near. I have made an extra item since my last post on buildings, it is a water tank built again from a laser cut kit. It is a superb kit but I have to say it is a bit larger than I expected so this may move over to my Steam Shed layout and another smaller one purchased. It is well worth having a good ‘play’ and see what looks best, end or side on etc.
As I have no indoor facilities for working on layouts, most work is completed on our picnic bench in the garden. This is why I have buildings in all states of manufacture, these are indoor fill in jobs when the weather is inclement outside.
I also added the ‘buffer stops’ at the end of the sidings and bay platform. These stops are made up of Scratch built, Peco and combinations of the two.
The Goods shed looks a bit blotchy, but all will be revealed later. My basic paint work laid down, I can now put the mortar in with fine Polyfilla and when dry and cleaned a coat of Coloron Wood Dye is wiped over to lessen the white effect of the Polyfilla. I will post pictures later.