Ballasting Ashwell Moor (O Gauge)

I started to ballast Ashwell yesterday – not one of my favourite jobs, but a job that can make or break a layout.

As this is a depot layout I used a mixture of OO gauge and N gauge Ballast with a little sand.  This Fuelling Point,  in theory it sees a lot of traffic and  it  is now over 30 years  since BR decided it needed a FP in the area. In all likelihood the depot never received new ballast in the first place – probably recycled was used when built. Over the years the ballast has naturally broken down under heavy foot fall, weather, fuel and oil.

The ballast is positioned as required, it is then wetted using a garden spray mister – I then used a large ‘eye dropper’ to add a 50-50 mix of PVA and water. Take care not to get any mix anywhere near points – I always do these separately with higher viscosity 75-25 mix – it runs less and I feel more in control of where it goes.  Don’t forget the drip of washing up liquid to break the surface tension of the mix.

Starting

DSCF5437

DSCF5438

DSCF5439

DSCF5442

DSCF5445.JPG

Finishing

Although very boring, I spend a lot of time cleaning up the ballasting when dry. I use a blunt old scalpel and clean all sleepers and rails of little pieces of ballast that ‘try to defy the laws of gravity’. This is very important on the inside of the track so that the wheels have a ‘clean run’ without any bumps or humps. Note:- Eye protection used – don’t forget!

DSCF5446

DSCF5447

 

DSCF5448

DSCF5449

DSCF5450

And the moral of the story —- take your time!!!!

 

 

Update on Ashwell Moor FP

 

I have spent the last two days working on the concrete plinth. It is rather a laborious job, but with care fairly realistic aged concrete can be made. I hesitate to add that this is ‘ageing’ not weathering – that will follow later.

Firstly the complete area was undercoated and left to dry thoroughly. I then painted the whole area with ‘Railmatch’ concrete and again left to dry over night. Next I mixed up a mixture of Polyfilla and a water based brown paint. I then applied the mix into all the joins and crevices as required. I re-touched some areas around the joins to ensure they stood out.

Last and final job was to paint, stipple and dab ‘Colron’ wood dye over the whole area, some places had two coats others only one – this is done until that ‘aged’ and blotched look for the whole plinth had been achieved.

Last job will be weathering and blending after ballasting.

DSCF5429

 

DSCF5431.JPG

DSCF5432

DSCF5433

DSCF5434

DSCF5435

DSCF5436

I wish I had a better camera !!!!!!!

 

 

 

Update on O Gauge Fuelling Point (Ashwell Moor)

 

Work over the weekend was moving the Stabling Point to a Fuelling Point. Extra cork has been laid to increase the size of the ‘concrete’ hard standing. I have also put Balsa wood down to form the fuelling area. Some drains will be added between the tracks later. I took the opportunity to spray between the tracks on the fuel line with ‘track dirt’ and matt black.

I have added a rear wall to the Scenecraft fuelling point as only a one track operation is needed – this was some leftover bits from my terminal station walls.

I have ordered some more items to add to the working look of a busy fuelling point. – to be added later.

DSCF5421

DSCF5422

DSCF5423

DSCF5424.JPG

DSCF5425

DSCF5426

I have now undercoated the complete ‘concreted’ area.

DSCF5427

DSCF5428

Re-think on O Gauge Stabling Point

After much discussion with my son it has been decided that the stabling point will become – a fuelling point!

This is not a big change and it does not require any track relaying. We have obtained a Scenecraft  Fuelling Point and a Hampton Hill platelayers hut to add to the layout. Actual placement will be decided later but the modifications required are being planned.

We have also added a 1″ square piece of softwood to the front of the layout to enable a curtain to be hung at exhibitions.

The layout also now has a name —— Ashwell Moor FP

DSCF5389

DSCF5390

DSCF5391

DSCF5392

DSCF5393

O Gauge wagons for Graham M

These three wagons were all made to a very high standard by Graham and then passed to me for painting and weathering.

Although a quite diverse batch covering over fifty years, they all required separate research on actual liveries and weathering.

For the first time I have taken ‘before and after’ photographs.

HAA – Medium Weathering – SKYTREX MODELS KIT

DSCF5376

DSCF5377

DSCF5379

DSCF5380

DSCF5381

ZCV Tope – Light Weathering – GJH KIT

DSCF5374.JPG

DSCF5375

DSCF5383

DSCF5384

Single Bolster – Light to Medium Weathering – CONNOISSEUR KIT

 

DSCF5373

DSCF5386

DSCF5387

DSCF5388