O Gauge Heljan Class 25 Update

This loco is owned by Graham and is planned to run on Morlock Heath. As this layout is based in the Mid 80’s a degree of updating is needed on the basic model.

Again we wanted something a bit different, so after some research we decided to go for 25035. This was one of a handful of unofficially named Loco’s that ran towards the end of their BR careers.

Work Carried Out

The nose doors were carefully removed by medium and then very fine ‘Wet and Dry’. I did not use a scalpel at all as I did not want any indentation caused by cutting. The cab was then partially repainted.

I added the extra catches on the grills on one of the body sides as per prototype. After research it was noted that not all 25/1 had this modification but 25035 certainly did. From photo’s I could see that the catches did actually vary in size slightly – 25035 had the larger type.

I looked on all websites that sell Transfers and could find no ‘nameplates’ had been made for these loco’s. So it was ‘make them yourself’ time. After several attempts I managed to get a reasonable likeness, but I think they are about 15-20% to large! I decided I would rather have this than too small. I can always replace them if they ever become available.

The body side footsteps and the boiler grills were covered as per prototype.

The Head Code 4 Digits were replaced with Marker Dots.

Finally a Light to Medium weathering was applied.

This was not a quick project – but very rewarding.

Below is 25035 CASTELL DINAS BRAN photographed from both sides and ends

IMG_3982

IMG_3981

IMG_3979

IMG_3977

IMG_3976

IMG_3974

IMG_3973

 

 

 

O Gauge Project Mercury Wagon ZDW

This wagon was made by Graham using a brass kit with ‘poppy’s wood inserts’ The painting has just been completed by myself.

We were both looking for something a bit out of the ordinary to use on our Morlock Heath Engineers layout and this certainly filled the bill.

I will weather it if Graham requires it done, but I have failed to find a really dirty photo of one as they seemed to have been well looked after in their short life in this livery. I will post further photo’s if it is weathered.

I added a ‘Air through Pipe’ as this wagon could be run in Vacuum and Air Braked rakes.

IMG_3972

IMG_3971

IMG_3970

IMG_3968

IMG_3967

 

 

 

O Gauge Loco’s for Les Williams

Les is a very old friend and he paid a visit on Sunday. I have known Les for over 20 years now and he is an absolute delight to ‘talk trains’ with.

Les has recently purchased some loco’s and I agreed to help him number and weather them. The below photo’s were taken by Les when he arrived home.

23756285_1123691834435149_566514165_n

23782161_1123691854435147_1789550774_n

23758199_1123691821101817_1457735033_n

23805570_1124262237711442_2051965995_n

23758496_1123691777768488_894630380_n

23758328_1123691727768493_563898823_n

23805682_1124262207711445_780110931_n

Oh and one Van

23772176_1123691724435160_286129728_n

I HAVE TO SAY——–Nice wallpaper Les!!!!!!!

 

OO Norton Wood – with stock

The making and many photo’s of Norton Wood have already appeared on this website, but with no stock  Some stock has now been obtained, albeit not weathered yet, here are the results.

IMG_3940

IMG_3941

 

IMG_3942

IMG_3943

IMG_3946

IMG_3945

IMG_3948

IMG_3947

IMG_3951

IMG_3952

IMG_3957

IMG_3958

This Layout is now owned by Graham Minshall and will appear at approx four Exhibitions in 2018 – see Exhibitions section for details.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

O Gauge JLTRT Pressflow Cement Wagon

This wagon was made by Graham and painted and weathered by myself.

I can not comment on the making of the wagon, but Graham certainly had to call on all his modelling techniques to finish it.

As far as painting was concerned it was a medium to difficult job with ‘lots’ of masking and quite a bit of hand painting. The transfers were OK, but could have been better– perhaps I should have varnished the transfers first! I put two coats of varnish on the transfers after applying them to ensure they stayed in place.

The weathering was performed by several washes and a little dry brushing on the body – then my usual methods on the chassis.

I am reasonably happy with the results – although it could have been better with more durable transfers.

IMG_3815

IMG_3816

IMG_3817

 

IMG_3818