Class 47 for Merlin’s Lane

On this website I talk a lot about weathering and in particular ‘shadowing’ using a black matt wash and then wiping the majority off, just leaving paint in the creases and crevices. Well, on this Loco I have taken several photo’s of the process and the improvements it makes. The only materials and tools used appear in the first photo.

The rag has to be cotton and the ‘wash’ is 50-50 matt black, thinners.

IMG_5743

WASH ONLY

IMG_5737

IMG_5736

IMG_5741

IMG_5740

IMG_5739

IMG_5738

IMG_5742

THE FINISHED WEATHERED LOCO

IMG_5759

IMG_5764

IMG_5763

IMG_5762

IMG_5761

IMG_5760

I have used this method on Loco’s, Coaches and Wagons, in OO, O, G and SM32. I have also used it in N Gauge, but it is a bit more problematical. Please leave any varnishing done for at least three days to dry or the thinners may cause it damage.

 

 

 

Visit by Shaun Today for Weathering.

 

As well as discussing several projects for Morlock Heath, we also had a little weathering session. These were all for Shaun’s layout, Princes Street Goods. Making a change from his usual Diesels, these included two steam engines, as well as a Buffet Coach.

Shaun’s layout is designed to run several era’s, so a return to steam in the early sixties is not a problem. The coach was for his later era, early seventies.

The Terrier is Light-Medium weathering

The Jinty is Medium – Heavy

The Coach is Light.

IMG_5744

IMG_5749

 

IMG_5750

IMG_5748

IMG_5747

IMG_5751

IMG_5752

Shaun will take some more photo’s on the stocks home layout and then post them on his website.

 

 

 

Four Dapol O Gauge Wagons – weathered

Here we have four Dapol wagons, I purchased them some time ago and have only just got around to weathering them.

Firstly we have two insulated vans, these will run in a small ‘fish train’ with other kit built wagons. I tried to make them slightly different to show variances in the rake. Both were coated in matt black wash and then wiped off, one was wiped off straight after coating – the other was wiped off using thinners on the rag – this gave a nice varied look.IMG_5725

IMG_5726IMG_5727IMG_5728IMG_5729Next was a BR(S) brake van – this was given a Medium weathering.

IMG_5732

IMG_5735

Final wagon of this batch was a Hybar – this is a medium level with special concentration on the inside.

IMG_5731

IMG_5733

IMG_5734

 

 

O Gauge Heljan Class 40 weathering

Another Loco that has always run pristine on my DCC sound Layout ‘Merlins Lane’. By public demand I have finally weathered it. The standard is to a light – medium at present, although I may attack it again as they never seemed very clean when I saw them.  Anyway a start has been made and I am pleased with the results. Special attention has been paid to the nose tops and fronts, the body is so ‘slab sided’ I have kept that relatively clean except under grills etc. – below are the results.

IMG_5720

IMG_5724

IMG_5723

IMG_5722

IMG_5721

 

 

O Gauge Heljan Class 31 weathering

 

This is another Loco that has been running on my DCC Sound Layout ‘Merlins Lane’. This Loco had never been weathered before and ran in pristine condition. After public comments about not being weathered I have eventually got around to doing it – I would say this is to a light – medium standard, but with all that lovely rivet detail I could not resist a little dry brushing – here are the results.

IMG_5715

IMG_5714

IMG_5716

IMG_5717

IMG_5718IMG_5719

Heljan O Gauge Class 20 re-weathering

This is a loco that has been running on my DCC sound Layout ‘Merlins Lane’. I weathered it some time ago but after several Exhibitions it had become a bit in need of some TLC. I carefully wiped off the finger marks, coffee drips etc. I then re-weathered the loco, albeit a bit heavier than the original job. Here are the results.

IMG_5709

IMG_5710

IMG_5711

IMG_5712

IMG_5713

 

Shaun’s Rake of Mk1 Coaches

Over the last few months Shaun has started to get a small rake of O Gauge Heljan Mk1 Coaches together, We have been trying to lightly weather them as they arrive. The main thing is to get shadow and depth into the door crevices using dilute matt black paint. It soon became clear that Heljans attempts in this area were not quite as expected! Determined to add some depth to the doors we had to compromise, below are the results.

The Heljan attempts at  Mk1 Coaches are well documented and the new Darstead models have issues – please Dapol get it right.

C0481297F3F54B31AF75B2963A8869A6

B8DF6F12F2FA44EC8AC508A339384B05

062BFFA100954A03B63DDA6D6561EA73

25F3A799B10647A6ABD9E813B01EF024

!cid_image014_jpg@01D3F5E7

This photo shows a before and after.

Shaun has enlarged his Blog/Website recently and has done a great article with photo’s of how he built the coal yard part of his new layout. Have a look it’s worth it.

https://princesstreetgoodsyard.wordpress.com/categories/the-coal-yard/