This Loco ran in this condition in 2019/20 before being modified and then repainted into Colas livery. It was purchased out of preservation and used in ‘as preserved’ condition for some time on Network Rail test trains.
I have given the model a light weathering as it was kept in very good condition, abeit a bit faded towards the end.
This is a loco that I detailed, numbered and named about six months ago. It was one of a number of 37’s that were dispatched by DRS to Stowmarket for the RHTT season in 2020. I have given the loco a light weathering that is more akin to the condition it arrived in and not after a week or two on RHTT trains.
There was great variety of liveries during the RHTT season and I have decided to do as many as I can or should it be afford. It is likely that we will have a few 37’s from DRS again this year on RHTT – fingers crossed.
Today I weathered my Dapol Class 122 DMU. This had to be done carefully as there is a lot of glazing that had to be treated with respect. Using a very small brush and dilute matt black paint, I carefully painted all the door creases and then with a cotton bud soaked in a little white spirit, I then cleaned up the sides. I was a little more free with the roof, using a larger brush and cleaning the surplus off with a clean cotton rag.
After finishing all the delicate work, I then airbrushed the underframe and bogies using Railmatch and Humbrol paints as usual, Other than some exhaust on the roof I did not airbrush any roof dirt, assuming that the sides, ends and roof would be cleaned regularly in the early diesel days.
Another recent purchase here. This is a very light weathering just to take away the plastic look and to make it look a bit more 3D.
I have used no Roof Dirt, Frame Dirt or Brake Dust, my usual go to colours. I have used a dilute Humbrol Black only and done what I call shadowing, just putting a little dirt/shadow in the door crevices etc and a dab and wipe on the buffer beam equipment.
This hopefully gives the impression of a well kept ‘pet’ loco.
This time we have a Construction liveried 31155, this was a Stratford (SF) Loco in the late 80’s before moving on. I have modelled it as I remember photographing it, I have given it a light weathering.
I used Railmatch and Humbrol Paints and the transfers are Railtec. The arrows and depot plates are Protoneo.
Here is another of my recent purchases, 31219 in Railfreight livery around 1987 – 88. I have to say this was my favourite livery on Class 31’s and I can remember them in East Anglia around this time. I chose this number as it was the only Class 31 in this livery to have a ‘Cockney Sparrow’ on the side, thanks to Kevin Lee for his help.
This is a light to medium weathering created by airbrush and dry brushing of Railmatch and Humbrol paints, Transfers are Railtec. The headcode modifications are still to be done.
After studying the fronts of my new Heljan Class 31’s, I felt that something just did not look right. I looked on a couple of Modern Image Facebook sites to see if anybody else felt as I did, and yes a couple of others had remarked that the Roof mounted marker lights looked a bit vague, nothing wrong with the position and Heljan had done nothing wrong in manufacture, they just needed defining better.
After looking through my Photos from the late 80’s, I hatched a plan of improvement. I picked a punch that was in scale with what I wanted and punched out some very light grey transfers that I had in my left over box. I then attached them to roof mounted marker lights, fixing them with matt varnish. After adding the transfers I gave them a quick run and as the transfers are so thin, I was still quite happy with the working lights in daylight – I will try in darkness later.
Below is a photo of a weathered 31 and lastly a 31 with my modification.
Here is another Class 31/4 from the recent Heljan run of refurbished Locos. This is 31407 in Inter-City Mainline Livery, it is based on as running around 1989-92 era. This is quite a light weathering compared to the freight engines I have weathered recently.
Railmatch and Humbrol paints used either by airbrush or by dry brushing.
Just a quick write up after the arrival of my Class 122. I tested the unit as soon as it arrived and it was a good runner albeit a bit speedy! The next job was to add all the extra detailing that is provided, the buffer beam detailing is excellent and fitted well after just reaming the holes slightly. The battery boxes were added each side and the methodology behind Dapol’s way of doing this is great, remember to push fit only, they are a tight fit. I then fitted the speedo cable, gluing the bogie end to the bogie, but leaving the chassis end unglued to allow movement by the bogie. Lastly I added the transfers, I choose ‘excursion’ both ends. The transfers are excellent quality and look great, just be careful cutting them out.
Overall this unit is great value for money and could/should help people that like smaller O gauge layouts.