Speedlink 37079 Medite

This is a recent purchase and it has to be said it was a bit of a lemon! The reason I purchased it was that it was heavily modified and I wanted a close look at how this was achieved. The modifications were as follows:-

Buffer beam modified to ‘cut away’ example.

Twin Fuel Tank Modifications.

Roof Grilles with extra strengtheners.

Body Foot Steps modified.

Front Nose Doors changed to Welded Sheet.

Front Nose Headlight Fitted.

Full repaint to a very good standard.

Nose aerial.

NOW THE BAD NEWS:-

Buffers Glued Solid

Wheels/Gears very worn.

Buffer Beam pipes damaged or missing.

Bogie Frames glued on/hindering access.

All Pick-ups in a filthy condition causing problems.

Missing body to chassis screws.

One light not working.

After much thought I decided to keep my purchase and give the Loco a good spring clean and add all missing bits. I then weathered it to a light to medium standard to hide a few little blemishes. I still have to address the Stuck buffers and the gear problem, but I have some spares gears.

Anyway here are the results so far.

Class 33 Snowplough fitting.

Today I have fitted most of my Class 33’s with snowploughs. I researched each loco to ensure it was carrying ploughs in the exact condition I am modelling them in. The only Loco that will remain without ploughs will be 33035 in NSE as I can not trace a photo of it in my modelled condition. Anyway leaving one without ploughs just gives that different look.

33050 and 33002 still to be weathered, and no plough 33035.

37402 as running 2020

This is a loco that I detailed, numbered and named about six months ago. It was one of a number of 37’s that were dispatched by DRS to Stowmarket for the RHTT season in 2020. I have given the loco a light weathering that is more akin to the condition it arrived in and not after a week or two on RHTT trains.

There was great variety of liveries during the RHTT season and I have decided to do as many as I can or should it be afford. It is likely that we will have a few 37’s from DRS again this year on RHTT – fingers crossed.

Class 122 Weathering

Today I weathered my Dapol Class 122 DMU. This had to be done carefully as there is a lot of glazing that had to be treated with respect. Using a very small brush and dilute matt black paint, I carefully painted all the door creases and then with a cotton bud soaked in a little white spirit, I then cleaned up the sides. I was a little more free with the roof, using a larger brush and cleaning the surplus off with a clean cotton rag.

After finishing all the delicate work, I then airbrushed the underframe and bogies using Railmatch and Humbrol paints as usual, Other than some exhaust on the roof I did not airbrush any roof dirt, assuming that the sides, ends and roof would be cleaned regularly in the early diesel days.

Overall quite pleased with the outcome.

31 – in Dutch weathered

This is the last 31 from the latest batch. Although it is modelled as a Crewe based engine, I did record it a couple of times in East Anglia.

I have to say that I am very happy with Heljans latest Class 31 and look forward to a potential second run.

The usual Railmatch and Humbrol paints are used with Railtec transfers and Protoneo etches.

33008 Eastleigh – Light Weathering

Another recent purchase here. This is a very light weathering just to take away the plastic look and to make it look a bit more 3D.

I have used no Roof Dirt, Frame Dirt or Brake Dust, my usual go to colours. I have used a dilute Humbrol Black only and done what I call shadowing, just putting a little dirt/shadow in the door crevices etc and a dab and wipe on the buffer beam equipment.

This hopefully gives the impression of a well kept ‘pet’ loco.

Class 31 Red Stripe R/F

Here is another of my recent purchases, 31219 in Railfreight livery around 1987 – 88. I have to say this was my favourite livery on Class 31’s and I can remember them in East Anglia around this time. I chose this number as it was the only Class 31 in this livery to have a ‘Cockney Sparrow’ on the side, thanks to Kevin Lee for his help.

This is a light to medium weathering created by airbrush and dry brushing of Railmatch and Humbrol paints, Transfers are Railtec. The headcode modifications are still to be done.