On Sunday our group visited W & R Railway Gala. The Gala was primarily to say hello to their newly re-built ‘Agecroft No. 3’ and to say goodbye to ‘Victory’ that now retires for a couple of years for refurbishment. We were asked to do a Demo and a Display to help with the Gala atmosphere. I have split this into two sections, the Gala itself and separately our Demo and Display. All Photos by my Wife.
My latest Class 40 arrived yesterday and I have now detailed and numbered it as D358, a Scottish Loco of the mid/late 60’s. I have also varnished all the numbers and grills. Weathering will take place as soon as possible.
This weathering job is not for the faint hearted, a lot of care is needed when using washes for weathering and shadowing. I had to do all washes with a very small brush to ensure that the many windows were not damaged or misted. I must admit that when I started the Blood and Custard livery looked very plastic and lacked depth, I feel that after weathering it looks much more three dimensional. I am very pleased with the result, but amazed at the amount of time it took.
Here are the first four of the Heljan Class 31’s that have been numbered and had extra detailing added. I have used HMRS and Railtec transfers and the etches are from Proto Neo. All Locos are based on 88-92 Era. Sadly weathering is a way off at present. Batch 2 to follow.
Yet another busy day on the layout. First job today was to chamfer all the cork edging on the outside of the tracks, very happy with the result, well worth the effort.
I have sketched out various embankments around the layout and today I started to form the outside MDF boundary. The below photos show the work done so far on the first board.
I am posting every move I make with the Kato track as it may be useful to others. Today I am preparing the track on the scenic sections for ballasting or should it be ballasting between the tracks and on the edges. I have purchased two packets of compatible Kato ballast to use, but at £7 a pack for such a small amount I decided to put a further layer of cork in all places that will be ballasted later to save on the amount of ballast needed. The below photographs show how I cut the cork to size, glued it and temporarily pinned it down, the pins are Peco and all are salvageable.
I intend to do a small section to see what is the best way to glue the Kato ballast down. I will use sandpaper to make a chamfer on all the cork on the edge of the track, this should help the finished appearance. You will note that I have started to disguise the wiring for the board joins.
I have now finished all the wiring on the layout. All track is now pinned and glued, I have tested all options and the whole layout runs extremely well.
I really hope I can disguise the KATO oddities on the scenic sections.
As John is on holiday next week, I hope to do some renumbering and weathering in 16mm, 7mm and 4mm, quite a change from my last few weeks.
When you have two foot trestles and your latest project has a three foot width – what do you do? Well, I did not want to purchase new trestles and felt I needed to utilize the smaller ones somehow!
The below photos show how I made extensions for the two foot trestles to bring them up to three foot. I also took the opportunity to add extra height to the trestles to make a better viewing height for the layout. I use Black and Decker trestles (sawhorses), but I am sure this system could be used on other makes.
The materials for the extensions cost £50 and I made four trestle tops/extensions, that’s £12.50 each, a lot cheaper than buying four three foot trestles, if they are available.
Graham and John had a great day at the Show yesterday. The limitations of crowds was more than made up for by the interest in the layout with possible further Exhibition invites and even a possible Magazine appearance.
Photos by John Barnes
I have just managed to finish painting the latest SM32 stock for the Garden Railway Show tomorrow. Although they are painted, I will not have time to varnish or weather them, but at least they will be there.