HEA Refurb

This is a Bachmann Brass O Gauge HEA that had seen better days. I think it had been dropped and generally not had a good life. I straightened the chassis and then started to refurbish the paint work which was very tatty and a bit flaky. I think that it had been painted over the original lacquer which later started to flake.

After a bit of TLC on the paintwork I repainted the worst bits by hand, mixing up a colour that was as near as possible. To stabilize the paint work I brushed on a coat of Johnsons Clear.

I then added the transfers, varnished and weathered the wagon. This was a cheap wagon and I did not want to spend very much on its refurb especially with the new Dapol HEA model due soon.

3D Printed OCA

I have now finished Grahams 3D printed O Gauge OCA. I have painted, lettered and weathered it. I also added some line transfers to the inside of the wagon to represent the wagon doors. All went very well and the wagon certainly looks the part. I used Railmatch and Humbrol paints, Fox and Railtec transfers.

It is difficult to ‘lose’ the ridges from 3D printed items, but using several light coats of undercoat and top coat certainly help. The use of Matt Varnish also flattens the model even more.

See what you think – comments welcome.

Four 7 Plank Opens

This was a standard light-medium weathering but as being recently into works, the difference is that during this visit three of the four wagons had a few replacement planks fitted. This said I also reflected the new planks on the inside of the wagons, then weathered the whole inside to reflect some use after replacements.

Since I took these photo’s we have decided to try and replicate load (coal) remnants in the bottom of the wagons.

Private Owner Open Wagon

This wagon was purchased by Graham secondhand from our friends at Great Eastern Models of Norwich. This wagon was very well put together but it had been weathered in a single colour of an awful rust shade. I have tried to turn around for him using five different colours.

Note – I have put chalk marks on the side, this was achieved using a white pencil.

O Gauge Match Truck Finished.

This little wagon has become a bit of a labour of love. I was determined to get the planking exactly how I wanted it. I tried three different colours before I got it how I wanted it, I then scraped through two coats a bit to get a variance of several colours, lastly I highlighted the plank joins using a soft pencil before varnishing over the top. I gave all yellow painted parts my usual wash and wipe to get some shadowing and ingrained dirt. I lastly airbrushed the chassis with my normal four colours.

OO – B17/6 and O Gauge 03 Match Truck.

This is just a taster really as both of these will be weathered when the varnish is dry in about three days.

The B17/6 is a rename and renumber of a Hornby model, It has been fully detailed and had a Westinghouse brake added. Again I would add that research is a must when wanting to change the identity of a Loco.

The O gauge match truck is based on a Dapol Conflat A, Just resprayed and lettered, plus the addition of air pipes. This type of match truck was used around the North East of England but not in East Anglia who tended to convert Shock Wagon Chassis.