This is a Slaters kit, made by Graham and painted and weathered by myself. It is to run on our SM32 Layout 4000 yards – Area 5. Straight forward kit to build, although some of the resin casting details were a bit flimsy. Always remember give these resin kits a good wash and scrub before painting as the mold release powder can cause painting problems.
Our first Exhibition of 2020 was at the Norfolk & Suffolk Narrow Gauge Exhibition at Beccles. This turned out to be an excellent Exhibition with record attendance and a very high class of layouts.
Although I am not particularly a Narrow Gauge Fan – this Exhibition certainly got our group thinking and at our debrief at ‘Maccie D’s’ on the way home – there was a lot of enthusiasm to build another group narrow gauge layout.
We took our latest wagon to the Exhibition although not quite finished and weathered – the Hospital Wagon got some very good comments. Below are some excellent photos taken by Shaun. Group photo by my wife – thanks both.
Over the last fortnight I have made a concerted effort to finish Grahams projects for him. The wagons were made by him, as was the WW1 tank wagon and tractor unit. The Class 24 was a factory made, but in plain brass and the 05 Shunter is a Heljan offering with changed owners logo’s. Photographs of the process are on this site – from undercoat to this page – finished.
This wagon was made by Graham and painted by myself. It is not quite finished as we have no transfers for it, we hope to get them this weekend at the Bressingham Garden Railway Show. It will also be weathered after transfer application.
I must admit I took this wagon on as a challenge. When it arrived I did a plan on how I would go about it, including what paint I would use and the order I would do the painting. I also had been given a photograph of the prototype that has recently been restored.
After undercoating, I sprayed the chassis and bogies Battleship Grey. The colours were then added to the tank, sand colour first, then green (as Tin Turtle colour) and then the red oxide. The edging was added after all paint had 24 hours to dry. The Black lining was done with a ‘Black Permanent Marker’, as near scale as I could get. Oh yes, and a very steady hand !
After our first outings with 4000 yards – area 5, Graham decided to make another Tin Turtle. Our first one was Fully Armoured, this one is Partially Armoured. I guess we now have the full set as we also have the open model with No Armour.
On Saturday 4000 yards made it’s first appearance at an Exhibition. This was at the Cambridge Model Railway Exhibition, and very well received it was. There was plenty of good comments and several invitations for other Exhibitions received. Here are a few photo’s of the day thanks to Shaun.