I have just managed to finish painting the latest SM32 stock for the Garden Railway Show tomorrow. Although they are painted, I will not have time to varnish or weather them, but at least they will be there.
Here we have two completely different wagon types. The first one is the ZXV that Graham made and I painted and weathered, I have put pre-weathered photos on a previous post. The second is an out of the box Heljan OAA, this has been detailed by adding the provided chains and a representation of a replacement plank on the center drop side door.
Here we have a quite rare wagon from the 80’s. It was made from a converted kit by Graham and painted by myself. The paint used was Railmatch ‘faded’ rail red, that will be incorporated into a fully weathered wagon after varnishing.
This will run on Morlock Heath when we are allowed out again.
These are wagons I purchased over twenty years ago, they used to run on the Bensen Layout I made in the early 2000’s. These wagons in contrast to the six I weathered the other day are light to medium and some have a faded look that I am playing around with.
When mixed with the first six I posted, which were quite heavily weathered I hope that I will have a good overall ‘working look’. I may well buy two more wagons and give them a very light weathering, virtually new or repainted, after all that mirrors an average train content.
By the way, Bensen is still viewable on this site – just search the name.
Here are six American HO wagons I purchased about four years ago. And now the BNSF layout is on its way, I thought it a good time to weather them. They were all done by wash/wipe and dry brushing, with very little air brushing.
These will join my previous six wagons and three locos on the new layout, they are already weathered.
While looking through various suppliers of O Gauge wagons, I noticed that Ellis Clark had updated a number of the Darstead Well Wagons. It was a run of about 10 wagons that had been repainted and lettered, had been re-wheeled using Peco items and had the floor replaced with an Intentio laser cut offering.
My first reaction was, ‘that will weather well’, followed by placing an order straight away. On arrival, my first thought was what a great wagon and it was a lovely revamp of the original Darstead product.
The first thing I did was to darken the wooden inserts with Coloron Wood Dye, giving it three coats. When dry I did my usual wash and wipe before using the airbrush to complete the main weathering. I then touched up the bogie springs and the chain loops with a touch of dark rust.
It was never my intention to buy a Hattons Warwell, but a reduction in price tempted me, and I have to say – very impressive. I have given the pair a light weathering only.
Another story of buying from the Dapol Sale and liking the wagons so much I purchased another to make a rake of three. I re-numbered the new wagon and decided to make it a bit dirtier than the original two.
As stated in a previous post I purchased some items from the recent Dapol Sale. Well, I was so pleased with the Banana Vans that I purchased another one to make a rake of three.
Just added ballast to Grahams O Gauge Dogfish. I let some of the ballast dust fall over the ends to add a little realism for spills etc.