Three new DAPOL coaches.

These are the first of Dapol’s new O Gauge Coaches I have weathered. Here we have a BSK, SO and a CK in Blue and Grey, all have been given a light weathering.

The first thing I did was to get a black wash into all door grooves and creases, this is what I call shadowing and it’s the main method I use to make rolling stock look less plasticy and more 3D. I wiped away any overspill after about five minutes.

I painted the wheel rims black to blend with the rest of the wheel. The next job was to blacken the very bright buffers.

Now out with the air brush and the use of Railmatch Frame Dirt, Brake Dust, Roof Dirt and Humbrol Black. After this I dry brushed a little self mixed dark rust on the main bogie springs and secondary springs, I also added greasy blobs to the buffer faces. Finally I air brushed a small amount of roof dirt and matt black on the roof with special attention to the vents and piping.

Well the verdict on the Dapol Coaches and how they weather – 9.5 out of 10 – super models. My only advice is be careful with the glazing, it does mist very slightly, but compared to other makes they are brilliant.

Gare De Brindille Fiddle Yard Finished

I have just finished the new fiddle yard and blended the new with the old. We still have some extra bricks to add and this will be done before its next Exhibition.

The new fiddle yard gives us far more flexibility and lets us run longer and more realistic trains.

The dilapidated Shed was made using MDF, Cork and various strip wood.

Class 14 Numbered (O Gauge)

Although I have called this post Class 14 Numbered, it really is about the researching of an engine that would fit into two BR era’s on two regions.

Most people know that these engines were virtually redundant before they were delivered to the Western Region and many know they ended up in great numbers with the NCB and Steel Companies, but they also spent some time on Humberside, to be precise Hull.

I therefore picked D9523, Delivered to the WR, went to Hull and ended up with the NCB. This research gives me two BR locations and an Industrial loco for exchange sidings etc.

Congratulations to Minerva Models – great Loco.

To be weathered later.

O gauge SR Atlantic re-work

This is the last and most difficult re-work of the six cheap locos I purchased. The first four were reasonably easy to repair, this one had obviously been dropped from a height and needed a lot of TLC. This was a complete strip down and a big re-solder and glue session, lots of filing and rubbing down and then a complete repaint, lining and numbering. Because of the state of the Loco I did not put any money into the project and leftover bits and pieces from previous projects were used. This meant that there was a few things that had to be omitted, like some lining.

If you remember, I traded the sixth loco for some electrical services off group member Graham, this has still to happen on this Loco.

Considering I was contemplating binning this Loco, I am relatively happy with the result, although close scrutiny is not recommended. I will weather it later to try and hide more suspect bits, but it will always be a ‘at the back’ on the steam shed.

Gare De Brindille Blending

Today I started to blend the front of the new fiddle yard with the original baseboard. There is a lot to do with the broken down Barn a priority. Graham has ordered a load of 16mm bricks and is actively seeking some appropriate roof tiles. It will be quite a tight schedule as this needs to be complete by September 10th when we are at the Cambridge Model Exhibition with the layout in its new form.

I also took the chance to touch in the flaked paint and replace missing ballast. Humbrol Enamel paints both diluted and neat were used.

Gare De Brindille -New Fiddle Yard

Yesterday we added the new fiddle yard to Gare De Brindille. We now have an off scene fiddle yard, all shunting previously done on the scenic section. We also took this opportunity to clean the whole layout and patch up some ballast that had come adrift. All that remains now is to blend the colours for continuity, Graham will also be making a building, probably an old Barn to ensure exit from the layout is not through a ‘hole in the sky’.

And the Presflo’s keep coming

Here is the penultimate batch of Presflo’s heading down under to my mate in Australia. In fact he is coming over in November to see his family and collect them.

I think I have learned a few lessons as I done the different batches and this batch has proved the most popular. These are all wash and wipe with all sections wiped with cotton buds, lots of cotton buds. I guess you take off about 70% of the wash. Nice result but very time consuming – I then varnished the whole upper structure.

Another batch of Presflo’s

This is the second batch of Presflo’s I have done for my mates – this time group member Graham. This batch are for two era’s, Tops and Pre-Tops. I used my usual methods of weathering to ensure differences between members of the rake. These Ellis Clark Presflo’s really are great models.

CPV – Tops up to 1985 (3)

Pre Tops – one yellow – one grey – up to 1972 (2)