Here we have six Ballast Hoppers, they have been medium weathered for Mike. I renumbered some, but I did have a lot of trouble getting the same colour transfers as the original Heljan lettering.
I used the wash and wipe method on the bodies – on the inside, I washed but did not wipe. The next step was airbrush the chassis with four different colours, special care was taken with the ballast shutes. I then went back to the inside and sprayed a mixture light rust colours – finally I dropped some O Gauge Ballast into the hopper and moved it around while the paint was still wet – after about 10 minutes I emptied the ballast out.