Today has been extremely hot and Airbrushing was just about out of the question. I was looking through some photos of steam engines, especially weathering on the connecting rods and the motion.
I started to have a look through my enamel paints and see if any colours could replicate the weathering I was seeing. I found a Railmatch Jar marked up ‘oily steel’ and thought that it was worth a try.
I picked a Jinty and a J94 to try the new method on. I will add that I used to just leave the overspray on the connecting rods etc. They looked OK but did not stand scrutiny based on the photos I looked at.
Here are the results – I think its an improvement.