Track laying on the DMU Layout

Well, I have always felt that a modern DMU run layout can be simple to build, wire and scenic, and it does not get much simpler than this! I think the below photos show just that. The two three-way points are Insulfrog,  the track in the fiddle yard is recycled code 100 and the track on the scenic section is new code 75. The points are manual as they are both in the fiddle yard, so the only wiring is the isolating sections and the feeds. The fiddle yard will hold up to six 2 car DMU size units or equivalent trains. The entrance to the scenic area will be under an over road bridge making the three-way point almost invisible. There is just one platform with two faces and a stabling/engineers siding.







More work on latest project

Because of a rotten Summer cold and being unable to spray with the airbrush, I have spent most of the time outside progressing the new project baseboards. I have now completed the corking, lengthened the fiddle yard by 9″ and made the back boards.







While I was doing this to the latest layout I also added the back boards to two previous baseboards that I had made. I reported on these earlier on this site, when I joined a laser cut baseboard to a laser cut fiddle yard – sector plate. They are both the same except that they have different sized sector plates.





That’s three new boards waiting for further progress – I also have two layouts about half completed, both O Gauge. I will do a separate post on the five layouts and what I would like to achieve.


And the next project is………….

After much thought and the need to do something a bit different, not another Diesel Depot, as I have said before! I have decided to make a OO Small Terminus Station that has been rationalised to a basic formation, run by mainly DMU’s

There will be three tracks, two with platform facings on a single platform and a storage siding – nothing else. The layout will be 11ft long overall with an approximate 6ft scenic section and a 5ft fiddle yard, the width is 15 inches.  At the moment I don’t think I even need a run-around

I  worked out what trains I wanted to run, and then matched the size of layout needed:-

1 Car DMU —- 2 Car DMU — 3 Car DMU

RHTT (Two Loco’s and two Wagons)

Test Train (Two Loco’s and two Coaches)

2 Car Tram (Weed Killer)

Small topped and tailed Engineers Trains.

DMU Substitute (Two Loco’s and two Coaches)

I want to run various era Modern Trains from approx. 1985 – to date. A few long-lived first generation DMU’s may appear, but generally they will be after the BR ‘sell off’ and therefore company trains. I will have at least three DMU’s for Company/Era filled out with other trains listed above.

I still have a few dilemmas about what track to use, but it will be DC as I could not afford the cost of putting sound in over thirty items, and see no advantage in DCC without sound as I only need three isolating sections on the scenic section.

Below are photo’s of the layout, fiddle yard and fiddle yard adjustable stand.

IMG_6646 (2)











Photo’s taken at various times during construction.



Extension for Norton Wood Fiddle Yard OO

When I sold Norton Wood to Graham and after our first Exhibition, it was decided to extend the fiddle yard before the next Exhibition.

Well, I have just completed the extension – we should now be able to run 3 or 4 car EMU/DMU formations and slightly larger engineering trains.

I have to admit this was not an easy job, especially the alignment between the old and new sections. Anyway after some trial and error I did it, I think the moral of this story is keep the spirit level handy and keep testing!!

There are at least two blogs on Norton Wood on this site – just put in Norton Wood and see the scenic section of this 3rd rail layout





OO BRT Class 20 revisited.

This is a Lima Loco I partially detailed about 20 years ago. I thought it about time I had another look at this Loco and other Lima Loco’s. The main reason I am returning to my old Loco’s is basically new ones cost so much and with my commitment to O gauge nowadays I simply can’t afford to do both. This Loco now has some Ultrascale wheels that I had in stock and has been completely re-weathered.

And ‘yes’ I do feel another layout coming on! Just a small stabling point I think – time will tell!






Sector Plate fiddle yard – cheap option

On Saturday Graham and myself visited the Narrow Gauge Exhibition at Bressingham Gardens. Although I do not do Narrow Gauge as such, with our SM32 WW1 Project about to start, we decided to see what was available. Well, most of the layouts were 009 and 0 16.5, there was even a 009 WW1 Layout and very good it was.

There were a few traders present and amongst them was ‘Norfolk Heath Works’ with the owner Stuart Hughes. Graham knew Stuart as he was next to Morlock Heath at the recent Great Eastern Models Scenic Open Day. Both Graham and Shaun did purchase some of the Narrow Gauge 15″ x 11″ Module Boards. Stuart sells these Modules at just £15 each for both Sector Plate and Normal Boards.

While I have no intention of going 009, I was rather taken by the Sector Plate Module, I duly purchased two. I thought these could be adapted for use in OO and even O Gauge.

I already had two 4′ X 15″ Laser Cut Base Boards by another supplier. These were already made up so I made the ‘Norfolk Heath’ Sector modules and modified then to my needs. Below are photo’s of the modifications carried out and the joining of a 4′ x 15″ to the 15″ x 11″ Sector Module.

The cost of making the now 15″/11″ x  66″ was about £55 each, including cork.










I made two different size extensions to the original self-contained Sector Plate. The Norfolk Heath module is in 4mm MDF while the main board is Ply Wood. I would have preffered the Norfolk Heath Module to have been in Ply Wood, but that said it is very strong. I bolted and used PVA to join the Boards together.