Whitwell & Reepham Gala Demo

Over the weekend of the Gala Graham and Shaun did both days and were joined by John and Charlie with their Layout Grubb Lane on Sunday. Shaun had his large collection of O Gauge models on view, this included some scratch and kit built items. Graham was showing items that he had 3D printed, both in O Gauge and in SM32. Again the photos were taken by my wife.

Two Dapol VEA

Here are two Dapol VEA’s that were recently purchased by Group Member Graham. I had heard quite a bit about them before they were brought to me to weather. A lot of people were concerned that the Red/Grey Railfreight livery was a bit ‘plasticy’ and needed to be repainted! Anyway this is how I finished both a Red/Grey and a Bauxite one. Firstly I varnished the sides to ensure that the tampo printed lettering was stable, when using harsh thinners of some tampo lettering it can become soft and move and/or distort.

After leaving the varnish to dry for three days I did a wash and wipe with dilute Matt Black paint. This left the paint in all crevices after wiping. I then airbrushed Frame Dirt, Brake Dust and a little Matt Black to the underframe, cleaning the hand brake handles before drying, these are usually wiped regularly for safety reasons. Lastly I dry brushed the chassis springs, brake pads, buffers and couplings with various rust colours. I also stippled the roofs with a little dilute Matt Black and Mid Grey, just to take the fresh look away.

Please see the below results, I must say these are excellent wagons and weathering does take the ‘plasticy’ look away.

Four Dapol Tank Wagons

Here are four Tank Wagons that I have recently weathered. I love doing these Tanks Wagons as they really come out very well. They look good in a small rake or in a mixed goods train. I used a mixture of Railmatch Roof Dirt and Frame Dirt to do the initial misting, followed by Matt Black for spillage down the side and tank tops, this was followed by Gloss Varnish to highlight the spillage. Then I tackled the underframe using Frame Dirt, Brake Dust and Matt Black on the axle boxes. After the spraying I mixed up some Dark Rust and dry brushed the springs, buffers and brake linkage.

WW1 16mm Class A Wagon

This is a Slaters kit, made by Graham and painted and weathered by myself. It is to run on our SM32 Layout 4000 yards – Area 5. Straight forward kit to build, although some of the resin casting details were a bit flimsy. Always remember give these resin kits a good wash and scrub before painting as the mold release powder can cause painting problems.

HEA Refurb

This is a Bachmann Brass O Gauge HEA that had seen better days. I think it had been dropped and generally not had a good life. I straightened the chassis and then started to refurbish the paint work which was very tatty and a bit flaky. I think that it had been painted over the original lacquer which later started to flake.

After a bit of TLC on the paintwork I repainted the worst bits by hand, mixing up a colour that was as near as possible. To stabilize the paint work I brushed on a coat of Johnsons Clear.

I then added the transfers, varnished and weathered the wagon. This was a cheap wagon and I did not want to spend very much on its refurb especially with the new Dapol HEA model due soon.

3D Printed OCA

I have now finished Grahams 3D printed O Gauge OCA. I have painted, lettered and weathered it. I also added some line transfers to the inside of the wagon to represent the wagon doors. All went very well and the wagon certainly looks the part. I used Railmatch and Humbrol paints, Fox and Railtec transfers.

It is difficult to ‘lose’ the ridges from 3D printed items, but using several light coats of undercoat and top coat certainly help. The use of Matt Varnish also flattens the model even more.

See what you think – comments welcome.

Four 7 Plank Opens

This was a standard light-medium weathering but as being recently into works, the difference is that during this visit three of the four wagons had a few replacement planks fitted. This said I also reflected the new planks on the inside of the wagons, then weathered the whole inside to reflect some use after replacements.

Since I took these photo’s we have decided to try and replicate load (coal) remnants in the bottom of the wagons.

Private Owner Open Wagon

This wagon was purchased by Graham secondhand from our friends at Great Eastern Models of Norwich. This wagon was very well put together but it had been weathered in a single colour of an awful rust shade. I have tried to turn around for him using five different colours.

Note – I have put chalk marks on the side, this was achieved using a white pencil.