Mid Suffolk Light Railway – might have been?

This was an O gauge kit built loco that arrived with me in undercoat with the instruction to make it look like a MSLR loco. This type of Loco never ran on ‘The Middy’ so it fell into the what might have been category.

After some reasearch and advise, I formed a plan to mix up the paint colour and purchase some transfers in the correct typeface. This achieved I jumped into the unknown! Here are the results, the loco is numbered ‘4’ as the actual loco’s were 1 – 3 and so logically any additional loco would have been 4 in theory!

IMG_4094

IMG_4095

IMG_4096

This Loco was built to a reasonable standard but was not always ‘square’. There was also a couple of missing pieces I had to replace. Overall not to bad – a good exercise in imagination!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

O Gauge updating from LMS to Early BR

Here we have two items of rolling stock that needed updating, one Loco and one Van.

Firstly the Van, when removing the LMS lettering some transfers came away taking the original paint work as well! I look on accidents like this as an opportunity to do something a bit different. I masked the area that needed treating and mixed up a grey that was near, but a little darker, and hand painted it on. When dry I painted on a supposed ‘new’ plank. To add further interest I also added an advertising/contents sticker for ‘Spratts Oval Mixture’, Dog food I think. I tried to add the black backing transfers for the numbers, but sadly they were old water slide and disintegrated as I applied them, I painted the said panels on and added the numbers required.  I tried a few new ways on the weathering side, I emphasised the slats under the contents sticker and also used a browny – rusty coloured permanent marker to highlight a few rivet heads.

IMG_4086

IMG_4087

IMG_4089

 

Now to the Loco, and what a loco, a massive O-6-O. I don’t know much about the loco, other than it was a Wolverton Works Depot shunter.

The change from LMS to BR early was very straight forward and after changing the logo’s, it was varnished and then blended by weathering the changed area.

IMG_4090

 

IMG_4092

 

IMG_4091

IMG_4093

 

 

 

Update on Multi Purpose Plank

Well, to start with, it is no longer a O Gauge Plank – it is now multi gauge with OO gauge track, magnet and ‘spratt’ height gauge added.

Although I have moved more towards O gauge, I still have some OO stock left and due to rising costs I may well use the OO as a fall back.

The only thing I need to purchase for the plank is a set of OO rolling roads.

I have Glued the original O Gauge rolling road Box to the Plank and will do the same with any new OO rolling road.

Finally, yes there is room for a N Gauge Track, if put under pressure by my son.

IMG_4052

IMG_4053

IMG_4054

IMG_4055

IMG_4056

IMG_4057

IMG_4058

 

 

O Gauge stock weathering for Colin & John.

Here are some bits and pieces I have had a while now and only just got around to doing.

Dapol Wagons

I will say it again – if using wash and wipe to start the weathering process, then all printed detail must be varnished first and left to dry for 48 hours plus. Sadly the tampo printed details will disintegrate if not varnished.

IMG_4032

IMG_4037

IMG_4033

IMG_4036

IMG_4035

IMG_4034

IMG_4034

Nondescript Coach

I think I was given this as a challenge! It was painted Brown on one side and Brown and Cream on the other! The roof was off and some interior fittings were loose. But the worst thing was that the Glazing was superglued in, apart from one bit that had fallen out! What made it worse was that the glazing was misty and had paint over it. Well after re-assembling and hand painting the sides – this is the result.

IMG_4039

IMG_4040

IMG_4041

And Finally a re-livery and re-weathering of a Pug from LMS to BR.

IMG_4082

 

IMG_4083

IMG_4085

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

OO Steam Heating Class B1 Locomotive

I have always fancied having a go at one of these ‘semi’ withdrawn loco’s. Being from East Anglia and remembering them at Norwich, Ipswich and Gt Yarmouth, it was just a matter of time before having a go.

Another thing that provoked this exercise was that when looking through the Fox Transfer catalogue, I spotted what I needed.

I found a few photographs of various loco’s and decided on ‘Department No.17’ This was ex Thompson B1 Loco No 61059, a Ipswich Loco. Sadly none of the photographs were colour, so it was a case of relying on my memories of seeing these loco’s.

Two points that I discovered after the renumbering were that the transfers were a bit on the large side and slightly wrong for this loco. Summing up, I considered this a weathering exercise of the generally unloved carriage heating B1’s.

IMG_4044

IMG_4045

IMG_4048

IMG_4049

IMG_4046

IMG_4050

IMG_4051

IMG_4047