Last two Ex GWR LT Panniers weathered.

The last two of my four LT Panniers have now been weathered. They will all run on my latest layout ‘Dark Lane’, a small LT depot. The first two below are L92 and L94, I have also put a single picture of L90 and L97 that have previously been posted. As the layout is based at the end of LT steam in 1968-70, all are in filthy condition and all Vacuum Brake and Steam Heating has been removed.

IMG_0122

IMG_0123

IMG_0124

IMG_0125

IMG_9864

IMG_9865

I hope to do more work on ‘Dark Lane’ very soon – especially weathering, to make it very dirty to match the Loco’s.

Four OO Diesels weathered

I have had these Loco’s since May this year – they were brought over from Australia by my mate Graham. Although I was under no pressure to get them done, sadly I let them drag a bit. Anyway here they are, awaiting onward shipment to Australia.

08954

Straight forward renumber and medium weather and detail.

IMG_9778

IMG_9779

37716

Light weathering and further detailing after a complete repaint by someone else.

IMG_9780

IMG_9781

37099

Weather and detail standard Bachmann Loco – word of warning here – this loco did not like the ‘wash and wipe’ method, and when wiping some of the tampo print lifted. I had to buy a complete set of transfers to make the repair.  This is the first Bachmann Loco I have ever had this problem with! Note this Loco does not have the usual nose aerial.

IMG_9782

IMG_9783

47245

Straight forward light weathering and detail.

IMG_9784

IMG_9785

 

O Gauge Steam Locomotives ‘Update’

Below are some loco’s I have been working on over the last few months.

Gresley N2 (NON CONDENSING)

This Loco represents a Parkeston Loco during the mid fifties – This Loco was swapped for an amount of weathering services. I have added extra lining and some more detailing.

IMG_9695

IMG_9696

IMG_9697

C12

A recently purchased item – Extra detail added and varnished in a satin finish. This is modelled as a Bury St Edmunds Engine.

IMG_9698

IMG_9699

IMG_9700

K1/1 MacCailin Mor

This was an Ebay purchase of a basic engine – it certainly had room for improvement.  I purchased over £30 worth of detailing items – added them and a partial repaint followed.

IMG_9701

IMG_9702

IMG_9703

B17/4 Helmingham Hall

This was the Loco that arrived badly damaged. After repair I worked out all the detailing parts it required and purchased nearly £50 worth. After adding the extra parts, I did a complete repaint. The model is when it was an Ipswich engine – mid fifties.

IMG_9704

IMG_9706

IMG_9707IMG_9705

All will be light – medium weathered later.

 

 

 

 

Repairing Damaged Loco

After eagerly waiting my latest purchase, an O Gauge LNER B17/6, imagine the disappointment when it arrived badly damaged. The chimney had been pushed down into the smokebox by about 10mm, causing a bad dent and creasing.

IMG_9353

After getting over feeling sorry for myself, and discussing possibilities with the Seller, I decided to repair the loco rather than sending it back. I worked out a plan of action and started to prepare the model.

IMG_9357

After removing the original chimney and snifter valve – I cleaned up the whole area. I pushed a piece of balsa dowel into the hole left by the chimney – I then cut the dowel down to the height the Car Filler needed to be – this gave me a guide when filling.

IMG_9359

After letting the filler dry for a hour, I then started to file and wet and dry the filler into shape.

IMG_9361

The balsa guide really helped.

IMG_9362

I smoothed the area and then filled the imperfections and blended again, until I was happy with the result.

IMG_9363

I added the new chimney (the one removed was the wrong pattern for this Loco) and the snifter valve. I also did a further fill  a couple of imperfections and smoothed down.

IMG_9366

I then hand painted  all areas worked on with an undercoat – left it to dry overnight and then hand painted a black undercoat to finish the repair.

IMG_9372

IMG_9373

Well it was certainly a challenge – but I am reasonably happy. I will let the paint dry for twelve hours and re-assess if further work is needed. It took me six hours overall to get to this stage!

 

Gt Yarmouth Class 04 shunter weathered.

At Last I have got around to weathering my recently made Gt Yarmouth Class 04 Quay Shunter. I have given it a medium level of weathering using my usual wash and wipe method and then a light airbrushing with Railmatch Frame Dirt and Roof Dirt. When dry I added a bit of dark rust onto the couplings etc.

IMG_9348

IMG_9349

IMG_9350

IMG_9352

 

 

 

 

 

 

Finishing off recent projects for Graham

Over the last fortnight I have made a concerted effort to finish Grahams projects for him. The wagons were made by him, as was the WW1 tank wagon and tractor unit. The Class 24 was a factory made, but in plain brass and the 05 Shunter is a Heljan offering with  changed owners logo’s.  Photographs of the process are on this site – from undercoat to this page – finished.

Class 05 – O Gauge

IMG_9314

IMG_9315

WW1 Tractor Unit in SM32

IMG_9318

IMG_9319

WW1 Tank Wagon – SM32

IMG_9341

IMG_9342

LMS/LNER Iron Ore Wagon (BR) – O gauge

IMG_9326

IMG_9328

Class 24 (97201) – O Gauge

IMG_9337

IMG_9338

WW1 Hopper – SM32

IMG_9322

IMG_9325

 

Three Project Loco’s Finished

Well, I did it, all apart from weathering that is – and that will have to wait as I need to do some gardening! Oh and two grandchildren and the dog are here for a while.

I really enjoyed doing these Loco’s but I think doing three at once was a bit daunting – although working on one while the other two dried, did help maximise my time.

DJH Kit Built Britannia 70036 Boadicea

IMG_9264IMG_9265IMG_9266IMG_9267IMG_9268IMG_9269

Bachmann Brass Class 24 – 97201

IMG_9275

IMG_9276

IMG_9277

Bachmann Brass GWR Class 1361 – No 1363

IMG_9270

IMG_9271

IMG_9272

IMG_9274