Track Laying on the sector plate

Today I sorted the track going into the sector plate. I always spend a lot of time on this ensuring everything lines up and the rail height is level on each section.

You can see how adding the extra strip of soft wood on the front of the layout ensures that four tracks fit comfortably. The four sidings in the stabling point will end in different lengths to allow a car park, huts etc.

Baseboards – change of plans.

As on previous posts, the next layout was to be my Sons new N Gauge Layout, with boards already made. Well, we decided to enlarge the project to 12′ x 3′ from 8′ x 3′. The new board kits have been ordered but they are not due to be delivered until late May, six weeks away.

I have therefore made a decision on my remaining made up baseboards – they will become another O Gauge layout approx 12′ x 18″. I intend to try and make this layout as a bit of a ‘design clever’ with removable items so that a variety of running eras and locations can be used. For example I intend to have removable buffer stops on a bolt on system, one set of traditional stops and another the up to date RAWIE style. Other changes will be different buildings, yard lights and railway staff to enable quick changes to run different eras.

The layout will be a Diesel stabling point as small fuel points to the traditional style have dwindled over the last thirty years or so. I intend to leave room for Loco fuel tank filling from road transport as used nowadays, but no fueling point or its sundry items will be added.

The layout will be DC as I already have a Diesel DCC fueling point in O Gauge, Merlins Lane. The Sector plate will be extended by about four inches and will probably be ‘pointless’

Layout/Baseboard Update

Now that I have almost finished a rather large lot of O Gauge Loco numbering and weathering, my thoughts turn to ‘what next’. Yesterday I made up two 900mm x 400mm laser cut baseboards, I then joined them with wooden dowels and PVA to make one permanent layout 1800mm x 400mm. I also have ‘in hand’ a 1200mm x 400mm laser cut, made up layout which has a small sector plate attached.

I am now looking at various options for two layouts, one 1800mm x 400mm and one 1200mm x 400mm. Another possibility is to amalgamate both baseboards together and make one layout 3000mm x 400mm.

Smaller board options are:-

Diesel Depot in OO — Steam Shed in OO

Dual board options are:-

Engineers Yard in OO — Early Diesel Depot in O Gauge.

Yesterday I also received a parcel containing two laser cut kits for 1200mm x 900mm boards. This will make a two part layout size 2400mm x 900mm. This is planned to be a made into a N Gauge Layout primarily for my Son, but also to add an N Gauge capability for our Group.

Sector Plate made by NORFOLK HEATH WORKS made for NSNGM

All baseboards by Grainge & Hodder

2 x 1200mm x 900mm Board Kits for N Gauge Layout.

Shelby Yard -HO BNSF Layout finished.

Since starting this project all photos have been taken inside, today I took the layout outside for its final photo shoot before storage. I do have another Fork Truck on order and this will be added, I did purchase a Gaugemaster electronic track cleaner and this will also be added to ensure good running.

Vehicles, People and Fork Trucks have been put into place and the small desert area has been detailed.

While I don’t think there is much chance of Exhibitions this year, I do hope to put together a virtual Show of all the layouts I have made during the Lockdown, five and counting!

Started adding detail to SHELBY YARD

Yes, I have eventually named the BNSF HO Layout, memories of those fantastic Mustangs and Cobras shone through in the end! I have spent the last two nights painting and weathering crates, pallets and drums, I am placing these on the layout to see the effect and how they blend, none are glued down yet. Lots more to find a home yet!

Before gluing the buildings and little items down, my thoughts turn to signage, both on the buildings and on the crates etc.

Update 10.02.21 BNSF Layout

The ballasting and sanding in the yard is now just about finished, the only bit not done is the entry to the sector plate. I have wired two isolating sections on the layout for storage of Loco’s while awaiting a train.

The next task is to complete the wiring to the controller and the yard tracks. The points are manual as they are in the fiddle yard, so the wiring should not take long. After that I will finish the ballasting right up to the sector plate.

I have had lots of pallets, oil drums and crates arrive which will need painting and weathering. I have also obtained six HO figures that I will repaint. I need to get some vehicles both commercial and private cars.

Update 6/02/21 BNSF Layout.

Another busy few days on the BNSF layout. The buildings have now visited the garage for an airbrush and a bit of dry brushing. The main job however was the laying of about 50% of the layout with ballast and sand. After leaving it to dry overnight I then cleaned up all stray bits of ballast and ensured that a wagon ran up and down with no problems. I used a light brown paint to cover the track sides, very little rust here as it does not rain very often and the site is on the edge of an arid desert. The rule is very little rust, but lots of dust and blowing sands. I however will add some spillages and debris later.

BNSF Buildings Stage one weathered.

Hoped to finish the buildings today, but it has been raining heavily and the garage is to damp to complete the job – below are a few photos after being washed and wiped as a base coating. I still need to do some dry brushing and a little air brushing when we have a dry day.

Anyway I think you can see how they have started to blend with the rest of the layout and backboard.